Today I had one of those experiences that make you think. I was coming home from Fred Meyer's and on one corner there was a man asking for money with a sign that said "Please Help". I had my normal thoughts race through my head, "Why does he need help?" "If I gave him money, would he just go buy alcohol?" "If I was homeless, I wouldn't choose cold Idaho to not have a home in?" "I should help, maybe this time I will." Do you ever have these thoughts? Well, usually it leads to me being very indecisive and then I never end up helping them. Usually I am just too scared to do anything about it. Well as I was watching him, a ladies car stalled on the other side of the street. This man dropped his sign, ran through traffic, and was the first and only one to help her push her car to the side of the road. If he was so quick to help, what does this say about my actions? Here was this man I was somewhat looking down on, yet he was so willing to help someone in need when I wasn't. Why is it so hard to break out of our shells and do something that is good for others? This man I will probably never see again, but he taught me a lesson today. Hopefully I can make a difference the next time someone is in need.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I always question this as well. I think I have become synical about the whole thing. You see so many stories about folks who cross lines by saying how they are so downtrodden and then climb into a 50,000 truck to go home. I have issues with this because I do want to help and yet have seen my help go unappreciated by folks in a similar situation.
So did you give him money?
I always feel the same way. I always want to help, but then all the stories you have heard about those who take advantage, or other worse things flood your mind as the light turns green and you just pass them by. And then the guilt hits you as you know what Christ would have done. There were SO many homeless people in San Francisco this weekend I never could have helped them all. It was really sad.
Post a Comment