Monday, September 28, 2009

Best of Both Worlds

Heath's brother got a new puppy a couple of weeks ago. My kids are in love with it. Cody isn't home much in the day so I decided to go get it today so my kids could have some dog time. They are constantly driving me crazy about getting a dog so I thought we could go get this dog once a week and they could have their time to play and then we wouldn't have to get one ourselves. We had such a fun day. Hannah would hardly share the dog. She held it all day. It really is the cutest little thing. I didn't hear it bark all day and it was a pretty docile dog. I actually enjoyed the day a lot. So now I think - maybe we should get one. I really fell in love with the little thing today which is very surprising because I am not a dog person. Am I crazy to think that way? Should we break down and get one or should I just enjoy this best of both worlds situation?

9 comments:

Rachel said...

I say just go get his dog often, then you don't have to worry about taking care of it full time. Or worry about who will take care of it if you want to go out of town or anything. (of course this is coming from someone who has no need for animals.)

Anonymous said...

I say, "ENJOY BEST OF BOTH WORLDS!" If is satisfies them wanting a dog. You've got a good thing going. We love our dog and I am glad we have her, but she is a lot of work! The puppy stage feels almost like having a newborn baby. I wonder how your next puppy-sitting day will go??

Also, that is a very cute puppy!

whit said...

I only remember my dad cussin at dogs so for the most part so I was raised ANTI dog :). Brad talked me into letting him get a dog I have rediculiously fallen in love with Bullet. Here are the pros and cons of our dog: GREAT buddy and entertainment, gets you outside for exercise, always is happy to see you, puppy stage was a TON of work, traveling becomes a pain to find sitters if you can't bring the dog (I just hope my dad lets me bring it home someday!! haha). I am glad we got one just because it has been a good kid prep and brad loves dogs so it's been good. If you don't want the extra daily work then I say use Heath's brothers dog while you can and wait until your kids get older where they can fully take care of the dog by themselves for the most part. good luck with the decision! :)

The Freed Family said...

It really was such a cute dog......but I say try it some more and see how the next few times go before you commit to getting one! Also, it is always funner when it is not your own and when you don't have it all the time....so this "best of both worlds" situation may be the best!

Tina said...

I have no advice...I'm glad we have a yard where the kids can go out and play and leave the gate open (they constantly forget to close it) and not worry about a dog and yet I miss the companionship...on the bright side, Jeff said if we can find a dog that doesn't leave puppy bombs we can get one...we are on the hunt!

Amberly said...

If you do get a dog don't tell my kids ok? I'm not brave enough to get an animal, I know I would be the one taking care of it all the time.

Jenn said...

If you get a dog I will never hear the end of it with my kids. Shaun is pretty stuck on no pets. I think the best way to look at is are you ready for another baby? The traveling issue is a big one for us too.

Unknown said...

Following you in Walmart wasn't enough, we had to find your blog too! :) Actually I just ran across it on Rachel's so I'm excited to see you have one!

Sara Sargent Williams said...

Let me just say - as a person who is dating a dog person and now has a schedule that revolves around feeding, potty-ing and trying to figure out what to do so we can go out of town without paying $25 a day to have the dog kenneled - just borrow Cody's! :)